TOC Head Coach - Paul Poce
Paul Poce started running after he did some boxing in his teens. He thought that running was a better sport, and started under Lloyd Percival, who was his coach with the Toronto Red Devils. Then a few of his friends started the Toronto Olympic Club in 1954 and he ran as well as started to coach. He won many races including the Canadian Cross Country Championships.
He has also coached Javelin, Pole Vault, Long Jump, Hurdles in TOC and Steeplechase for Canada and also was Canada's National Walks Coach.
Paul has coached many runners in the following distances - 800 m, 1500 m, 3000 m, 5000 m, 10,000 m and 1/2 Marathon and Marathon.
- Olympics: He was named to 5 teams rosters 1972, 1976, 1980 (Canada did not go),1984 alternate and 1992 as Head Coach for Athletics at the Barcelona Olympics.
- Commonwealth Games x 6 teams - 1966, 1970, 1978, 1986, 1990 and 1994
- Pan American Games x 4 - 1967, 1975, 1979 and 1983
- World Cup Athletics x 2 - 1979 & 1983
- World Cross Country x 5 - 1970 in France,1979 in Norway,1986 in France,1989 in Boston, & 2000 in Italy
- Ekiden Relays x 9 - 1990, 1991 in Spain, 1992 in New York, 2001, 2002, 2003 in Japan, 2004 in Chiba, 2005 and 2006 Beijing
- He took athletes on the following Athletic Tours: x 8 - 1968 on Scandinavian tour, 1974 on Greek tour, 1975 on Scandinavian tour, 1976 the English tour, 1978 Sardinia tour, 1980 Germany and Poland tour, 1984 the Italian tour, 1988 London & Switzerland
- World Championships: x 2 - 1983 in Finland, 1987 in Rome.
Awards and Inductions:
- Canadian Road Running Hall of Fame as a Builder in 1991
- Syl Apps Award Volunteer Award for Sports in Mississauga in 2008
- Athletics Ontario Hall of Fame inducted as Builder in 2009
- Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame inducted as Builder/Coach in 2010
- Assistant Meet Director for the Toronto Telegram Indoor Games
- Meet Director for the Toronto Star Indoor Games
- Meet Director for the Toronto Sun Indoor Games
- Meet Director for the Eaton's 10K races
- Race Director for the Toronto Labatt's Marathon for first 5 years, now the Toronto Waterfront Marathon
- Race Director of many 5 km - 8 km-10 km and 12 km races in Toronto Labatt's, Pru at the Zoo, and the Silver Relays and many others
- Elite Entries Director for the Shoppers Drug Mart and Toronto Ing Marathons
- Head Coach and Manager of the Toronto Olympic Club for almost 60 years