Michael Lavigne - Lead Junior Development Coach
Michael has a lifelong passion for sports, fitness and coaching. He has been involved with Athletics since his first track race at the age of 7. He has competed in races ranging in distances from 60m to 7-day road races.
Michael is a Certified Athletics Canada Performance Coach (Endurance) and a Registered Professional Coach with the Coaching Association of Canada.
Michael has had the privilege of coaching a broad range of athletes from Junior to Professional. He has held the following positions:
- Head Coach/Founder, ASPIRE Athletics (Toronto, ON) 2018 – Present
- Assistant Coach, Georgetown University (Washington, D.C.) Women’s Cross Country, Indoor & Outdoor Track Teams 2017-2018
- Head Coach, Bishop Strachan School (Toronto, ON) Girls Track & Field Team 2014
- Head Coach, George Brown College (Toronto, ON) Men’s & Women’s Cross Country & Indoor Track Teams 2006-2017
Michael has had the honour of being named to the following National and Provincial Teams:
- Team Canada (Endurance Coach) U20 Pan-Am Track & Field Championship Trujillo, Peru (2017)
- Athletics Canada (Apprentice Coach) Warm Weather Endurance Training Camp Chula Vista, CA (2017)
- Team Ontario (Head Coach) ON vs QC Midget Dual Meet (2019)
- Team Ontario (Endurance Coach) ON vs QC Midget Dual Meet (2014, 2015, 2017)
- Team Ontario (Endurance Coach) Ontario Summer Games (2018)
Michael is a member of Athletics Ontario’s Programs & Services Committee, serving as the Chair from 2016-2021. He has also served on the Athletics Ontario Board of Directors Nomination Committee (2017, 2018, 2020 & 2021).
Additionally, Michael is a Certified Personal Trainer, and has run his own personal training business since 2006.
Michael lives in Downtown Toronto with his wife, newborn baby (arriving in February 2022) & miniature schnauzer. You can often find him running in the Annex, Rosedale Valley, or on his treadmill.